Raisin the Alarm
                                   WARNING Dog Owners

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient
was a 56 pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a canister of raisins ometime
between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't
seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the
meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me—had heard
something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the
kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the
bloodstream. We placed an I V catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values
at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a
liter of fluids.

At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary
catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting
again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He
produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting
medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting.

Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10,
his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around
150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case—great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.
Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control
said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs
grapes or raisins as treats. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Feel free
to contact me if you have any questions.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio